DSCN1005.JPG
DSCN0958.JPG
DSCN0449.JPG
Geroge Tooker House.JPG
Photos-598.jpg
EDGAR.JPG
Girls by the creek 1910.jpg
DSCN1028.JPG
DSCN0958.JPG
Deer Run Farm 2.JPG
DSCN1005.JPG

The Morrow Homestead


The Morrow Homestead

SCROLL DOWN

The Morrow Homestead


The Morrow Homestead

Mrs. Morrow’s home has been preserved and maintained as the Foundation’s headquarters. Housing many of the families antiques and small collection of paintings by Frederick Kost, a turn of the century impressionist painter and resident of the Hamlet, the house serves as an office and houses the Fireplace Heritage Archives. There are currently 4,000 feet of trails on the property that are open to the public. On the same property, the Annex serves the community as a meeting place for various civic groups as well as the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The local chapter of the Herb Society of America has established a perennial herb garden on the grounds for educational purposes.

Since it was created in 1969, the Post Morrow Foundation has worked to protect and preserve the rural, cultural and historic heritage of Brookhaven Hamlet. The following is list of various properties and projects of the Foundation

DSCN0958.JPG

Beaver Dam Creek


Beaver Dam Creek

Beaver Dam Creek


Beaver Dam Creek

The Foundation has preserved and protected 62 acres along the Creek below Beaver Dam Road. Traditionally the Creek has served as a protected estuary for boating and fishing. Stocked with Brown Trout the Creek is one of the few remaining unpolluted streams of the South Shore Estuary.


Upper Beaver Dam Creek

North of Beaver Dam Road to the south side of Montauk Highway. The creek is surrounded by houses and developed land. The Foundation has been able to acquire and preserve approximately 6 acres that include several parcels between Montauk and Beaver Dam Road including the property just north of Beaver Dam Road on either side of the Creek. The headwaters North of Montauk Highway where the Creek originates is critical to the health of Beaver Dam Creek. The Foundation has purchased a parcel which was the old Arnold Bread Store and before that a gas station. This property has been restored with plantings of native grasses, which should restore the original vegetation. Several other parcels that were delineated on old file maps have been purchased by the Foundation helping to assure the future health of the Creek.


Fireplace Boat Basin

A small boat basin on Beaver Dam Creek that provides summer dockage for approximately 40 boats. Under private ownership and operation for 50 years, this purchase by the Foundation will continue the current low-key operation of this boat basin for local residents and prevent a more aggressive development of this key property on the Creek.


DSCN0449.JPG

Beaver Dam Creek Boardwalk


Ken Budny Memorial Boardwalk

Beaver Dam Creek Boardwalk


Ken Budny Memorial Boardwalk

Boardwalk Plan

On July 19th, 2015, the Post-Morrow Foundation dedicated the proposed new boardwalk over the wetlands and along Beaver Dam Creek to our friend Kenny Budny, who sadly passed away in March 2015. Ken had worked for the Foundation for fifteen years as our facilities manager and was a staple of the community.

The Foundation held the Boardwalk Bash in the fall of 2014 to raise funds for the development of this boardwalk. It will provide a safe and comfortable way to view the wetlands and the creek.

The Foundation applied for and received the many permits necessary for the construction of the boardwalk  from the DEC, DEP and Brookhaven Town Building Department. The Tide Water Dock Building Company was engaged to install the boardwalk.  Located in Hampton Bays, Tide Water has extensive experience in marina and wetland construction on Long Island. Construction began in early 2016.

At the present time thanks to our donors, we were able to complete Phase II which runs from the woodland trail on Post-Morrow headquarters property to the creek. A platform has been erected to provide onlookers with panoramic views of Beaver Dam Creek and the surrounding wetlands. The boardwalk has become a popular place for visitors to enjoy the natural serentiy. We look forward to seeing you there!

Geroge Tooker House.JPG

The Tooker House


The Tooker House

The Tooker House


The Tooker House

In 1994 the Foundation purchased this small cottage directly on Beaver Dam Creek, which it plans to convert into a nature observatory for use in conjunction with student organizations for Bellport High School.

Photos-598.jpg

The Brookstore


The Brookstore

The Brookstore


The Brookstore

Originally built in 1742 and replaced in 1872 the Brook Store was purchased and preserved to maintain the center of the community which includes a small town park and the memorial park at the intersection of South County Road and Fireplace Neck Road.

EDGAR.JPG

Edgar Avenue


Edgar Avenue

Edgar Avenue


Edgar Avenue

The Foundation secured 10 acres along Edgar Avenue to maintain the rural character of the area. Plans are being developed to establish a native garden/arboretum on the property with trails and informational signs to promote the use native plantings by residents.

Girls by the creek 1910.jpg

The Fireplace Heritage Collection


The Fireplace Heritage Collection

The Fireplace Heritage Collection


The Fireplace Heritage Collection

This collection of photographs, manuscripts, family records and records from local community groups is available to the public for research and review by appointment. The collection is focused on local cultural and historical material of the Hamlet. The Foundation is currently undertaking an oral history project to document the stories and recollections of local residents of the Hamlet.

DSCN1028.JPG

Wetland Restoration Initiative


Wetland Restoration Initiative

Wetland Restoration Initiative


Wetland Restoration Initiative

Working together with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, the Foundation has restored a valuable wetland area of the Beaver Damn Creek. This restored wetland will provide much-needed habitat for migratory birds, mammals and other wildlife. The wetland will improve natural aesthetics of Beaver Dam Creek and will enhance local waterways by serving as a natural filtering system and flood prevention zone.

DSCN0958.JPG

Tooker's Boat Yard


Tooker's Boat Yard

Tooker's Boat Yard


Tooker's Boat Yard

This boatyard, on Carmans River and adjacent to the Brookhaven Village Association’s Squassux Landing, has been in continuous operation for over 100 year. Captain Sam Newey began to build boats there in 1900 and the boatyard has been the focal point of boating on the Carmans River for the duration of the 20th century. The Foundation plans to restore the tradition of wooden boatbuilding and develop a wooden boating center within the operation of the boatyard.

Deer Run Farm 2.JPG

Deer Run Farm


Deer Run Farm

Deer Run Farm


Deer Run Farm

In a partnership with Mr. and Mrs. Henry Lohmann, Suffolk County and the Foundation, a 49-acre working farm located on Beaver DamCreek was preserved. Purchased with a combination of Foundation support, private donations, Suffolk County Greenways open space program funding and the Suffolk Country Farmland Protection Program, this property will continue to be actively farmed and will provide protection for a large stretch of the shoreline of Beaver Dam Creek. The Action also added 15 acres to the Dennis Puleston Nature Preserve, increasing it to approximately 50 acres.